Saturday, July 13, 2013

Coming out as an Atheist

Believe it or not, I have only left my religion in less than a year, I had my doubts about God and religion for a long time. I considered myself an agnostic christian for a long time, mostly of how churchs and the people that went to them acted, but that is another story.

For me to really question God started as a discussion with my sister on evolution and creation, I believed in evolution but never quite understood what it meant. It the end we agreed that both should be taught on schools because evolution was just  theory. After that I thought to myself, I should learn more about this. All sites I went to always called it the theory of evolution, then one guy on reddit said. Evolution is a fact. That's all he said. I didn't know what to think, was he wrong or is it a fact? He is right, it is a fact. After some research on the internet, I figured out my belief in God was not rational, praying does not work, hell is just a threat to control people.

I didn't have any courage to come out and say "I'm an atheist!", I was scared of what people would think, remember, this is Brazil, in Brazil people hate atheist more than criminals, to religious people we are worse than criminals. I watched some videos on youtube, the Atheist Experience, after watching a few episodes, I actually got some confidence to come out, and I did, on facebook. At first I thought, I'm gonna have a few people send me some angry email. It didn't happen. All that happen was my family saying "Oh what is this atheist bullshit on your facebook? Take it down". Them saying that actually made me post even more stuff on facebook. Other than a few debates with my family, everything has been calm. I still don't tell everyone I'm an atheist, mostly because it never comes out, and I stay away from religious conversations as much as possible. Though I find it amusing when two christian argue about the meaning of a passage in the bible.

There might be a part 2 of this later on, keep tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment